Thursday, April 11, 2013

Of Weddings, Basketball and Smart Phones

I attended a beautiful wedding a few weeks ago. The ceremony was lovely. The bride was crying, the groom grinning. The pastor was very eloquent. The unity candle was lit, the vows promised, the rings exchanged, and the big moment had arrived.

Precisely as the pastor was announcing that the couple was officially husband and wife, a cell phone went off. Loudly. All of the guests, the wedding party, the bride and groom, the pastors, were silenced, perplexed. Who forgot to turn off their cell phone?!?

Suddenly the groom chuckled, red and embarrassed. He reached into his suit coat pocket to turn off his own phone. Everyone in the church roared with laughter. The comedic timing of that phone call was hilarious. The bride had a great sense of humor about it all, and declared, "I love you anyway."

Rewind 45 minutes prior to the phone interrupting the high point of the wedding. My husband and I arrived at the church early and were a few of the first guests seated. My husband pulls out his phone and begins to watch the end of "his" big basketball game on his new WatchESPN app. Our friends behind us leaned forward to watch the game, too, and admired his phone. Thankfully the game ended at the exact time that the bride marched down the isle.

This isn't the first time that the phone and basketball game has clashed with me. To my annoyance, my husband watched a game during a family dinner out a few weeks ago. I guess an "important basketball game is an exception to our no-phones-at-dinner rule? A couple dining next to us saw the miniature TV and the man said he thought that was the greatest thing since sliced bread.

I foresee future games taking precedence over important moments in life. Sure, he can go with the family on any outing, but he won't really be there as long as there's a college basketball game on. I wonder what would happen if I watched an episode of Downton Abbey while eating out with my family.

I'm not passing judgment, merely musing how technology can - and does - interrupt everyday activities such as family dinners as well as monumental events such as weddings. I am a little sad about that, but others seemed to have accepted the changes comfortably.

No comments:

Post a Comment