Tuesday, December 18, 2012

What Shall We Give the Children?

My daughter's preschool teacher shared this poem with her students' parents. It is a lovely poem for the holidays, as it reminds us to remember that quality time spent with your children is more important than buying them lots of "things." I know I could use these thoughts all through the year.

What Shall We Give The Children

What shall we give the children? Christmas is almost here.
Toys, and games, and playthings. As we do every year?

Yes, for the magic of toyland is part of the Yuletide lore
to gladden the heart of childhood, but I shall give something more.

I shall give them more patience, a more sympathetic ear,
a little more time for laughter, or to tenderly dry a tear.

I shall take time to teach them the joy of doing some task.
I'll try to find time to answer more of the questions they ask.

Time to read books together, and take long walks in the sun.
Time for a bedtime story after the day is done.

I shall give these to my children, weaving a closer tie.
Knitting our lives together with gifts money can't buy.

- Author Unknown

No comments:

Post a Comment