|Screen shot from the|
Starfall ABC's app
To that end, here is a list of apps for the iPad, smart phones and other gadgets that can help preschoolers and young elementary kids with reading, letter recognition, phonics and foreign languages. These apps were recommended to parents by a private school in Knoxville, Tennessee. I can't personally vouch for these programs, except for Starfall. My kids used the program through a traditional web browser both at home and at school. It's great!
Most of these links go to Apple's iTunes web site for information and download. If you don't have an iPad or iPhone, run an online search for the program or its manufacturer. Some of these apps may come in different formats, like DVDs, CDs, or programs for Droid phones and other gadgets.
Interested in reviews and comments about apps from other parents? See the Common Sense Media web site, where they have reviewed several popular apps, sharing the good and the not-so-good.
- Phonics Easy Reader 1 by Rock N/ Learn
- Word Ball Free by Continuous Integration Apps
- ABC Tracer by App-Zoo
- Shape-O ABC's by Bellamon
- ABC Go! by Peapod Labs LLC
- Alphabytes by WFH Interactive
- Interactive Alphabet - ABC Flashcards by Piikea St. LLC
- ABC Food by Peapod Labs LLC
- Starfall ABC's by Starfall Education
- ABC Alphabet Phonics by GrasshopperApps.com
- Futaba by INKids
- ABC 123 Blocks by Playtend Apps LLP
- ABC and Me by Muon Van
- Sight Words List by Innovative Mobile Apps
- Living Language - Spanish by Random House Digital, Inc.
- Grammar Express - Parts of Speech by Eknath Kadam
- Alphabet Tracing by Oncilla Technologies, Inc.
- iTranslate by SonicoGmbH
- Comic Life by plasq LLC
- ABC Alphabet Soup by RoDen Apps