Saturday, March 31, 2012

Go Screen-Free April 30 - May 6

The Campaign for a Commercial-Free Childhood organizes an annual "Screen-Free Week," and this year the week is April 30-May 6.
"Screen-Free Week...is an annual celebration where children, families, schools and communities turn off screens and turn on life. Instead of relying on screens for entertainment, participants read, daydream, explore, enjoy nature, and enjoy spending time with family and friends. 

Screen-Free Week isn't just about snubbing screens for seven days; it's a springboard for important lifestyle changes that will improve well-being and quality of life all year round."
The Screen-Free Week web site explains additional benefits to turning the screens off.
Time with screens is linked to poor school performance, childhood obesity, and attention problems. And it is primarily through screens that children are exposed to harmful marketing.
Parents and educators can order a Screen-Free Week Organizer's Tool Kit. I've ordered mine; I'll share more about it once I get a chance to look it over!

A few weeks ago, I blogged about organizing a similar event. Now that I've found Screen-Free Week, I think I'll just promote this wonderful event that already has momentum.

No comments:

Post a Comment